In addition, blue-green algae can make humans sick, with symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, muscle cramps, twitching, paralysis, cardiac or respiratory difficulty and liver failure. The bacteria can also cause skin irritation, rashes and gastrointestinal issues.
The CDC says symptoms your pet might display if it's been exposed to toxins from algal blooms include excessive salivation (foaming at the mouth), weakness, difficulty breathing, convulsions, loss of appetite, loss of energy, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures and death.
To protect yourself and your pet, do not swim in any bodies of water where the water is discolored, has any foam, scum, or mats of algae on the surface, or that has a "musty" smell.
Wash yourself and your pet thoroughly with fresh water as soon as possible if you suspect contact with water contaminated by an algae bloom.
The CDC says if you, a child or a pet swallow water from where there is a harmful algae bloom, call your doctor, a poison center, or a veterinarian immediately.
Jake and Maggie had a fun filled weekend of playing frisbee, chewing on their frisbees and relaxing in the sun. Again, I wanted to get this post out but will definitely be posting a "What I'm Loving" next week with double the info and pictures! I promise. I've also have a new pet treat recipe coming your way! If your dog loves pumpkin, this recipe is for you to make!