"This is Jake sleeping on my foot while I cook". "He has done this since he was a puppy".
"Maggie and Jake are always with me when I'm in the kitchen".
"Banana Foster French Toast Bake with Greek Yogurt Icing"
Caramelized Bananas Ingredients
4 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
5 bananas sliced
1/3 cup brown sugar
- Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat.
- Add bananas and brown sugar and stir until sugar is completely melted and bananas are coated in the sugar.
- Continue stirring until sauce formed by the brown sugar thickens.
- Watch closely to make sure that the sugar doesn't burn.
- Remove banana mixture from the heat.
- Put 2 tablespoons of whole milk into the pan to collect all the drippings. Pour into banana mixture and let sit.
Italian Bread French Toast Ingredients. Ok...I know...you should use Brioche bread but all I could find at Kroger was Italian.
1 loaf of fresh Italian bread
4 Italian buns - I added these to give the dish more texture
5 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Grease a 6 cup baking dish or oven-safe skillet such as a 10" round or an 8" square baking dish. I used Pioneer Woman floral and white Porcelian square baking dish and it worked fine.
- Evenly distribute the bread in the dish and top with caramelized bananas and all of the caramelized sugar it is sitting in.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour evenly over bread.
- Layer with a coating of cinnamon on top - as much as you would like
- Cover the casserole dish and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until no liquid remains.
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioner sugar
1 cup plain Greek yogurt or any plain yogurt you have
- Mix together and refrigerator for the next morning.
- I gave mine a 30 second nuke in the microwave to warm it up.
Note: Adding some pure Maple syrup to this dish after cooking would be delightful! And of course, another pat of butter too!!
And yes, we did shop (A LOT) but since this is a food blog, I kept that simple....but I did buy a bird bath for our yard which I'll talk about in another blog post!
My sister took care of Jake and Maggie for me and a big thank you goes out to her for helping me out! Couldn't have gone without your help. Jake and Maggie love you Aunt Carla!