Helping animal shelters during the holidays!
Every year Thomas and I donate to the animal shelters for the holidays by not only making a monetary donation but providing the shelter with cleaning supplies and food. I’ve often thought about the many dedicated and caring volunteers that donate their time and effort taking care of the animals and the shelter. There is ALOT that goes into being a volunteer and I don’t feel they are appreciated enough. I’ve put together a list of ways that you can help your local shelter this year and one that I’ve never thought about before was baking a tray of cookies for the shelter employees and volunteers. Thomas and I are planning on making sugar cookies this year. Looks like I’ll be buying one more holiday tray and making some extra sweets :-)!
How to help pet shelters during the holidays
- Walk the dogs
- Help clean cages
- Donate sheets, rugs, collars, food, treats
- Make catnip bags for the cats – I talked to our local rescue and they suggested cutting up old blue jeans, folding catnip inside and sewing the package together. They said their cats love to play and this occupies their time.
- Adopt a pet
- Volunteer your time whether it be administrative, adoption events, or shelter responsibilities
- Bring a pet home to foster
- Follow your local animal shelter on social media
- Bake something for the shelter volunteers
- Cash donations – might even be taxable
- Shop for deals – check your local JoAnn Fabrics or Micheals after the holiday is over for toys and supplies on sale.
- Donate paper towls
- Donate newspapers
- Advertise the shelter if you write a blog
- Donate your vehicle
- Donate baby pools – My local shelter told me that their puppies love this gift in the summer time!
- Sponsor a pet for the month – I am told that this helps get these fur babies adopted faster if their adoption fees are paid for. Some shelters call this a “cage donation”.
- Pay for a vet bill whether it be something as simple as flea and tick prevention or surgery.
- Make a memorial donation in memory of a loved one.
You Might Also Like
Can you believe it is November 6th already?!!! I've said over and over that I love the fall weather we have been having but I'm sad now because...guess what...we are getting snow tomorrow :-(. Thanksgiving is right around the corner and what better way to cheer...
Independence Day is almost over and we had a blast celebrating it with the pups and family. It was a great day surrounded by the people we love. Thomas and I are grateful for our America and being an American. We have all that we need and are grateful for our...
Hi everyone! It's been awhile and I wanted to kick off with a new look to the site, the results of my survey and most important...Jake and Maggie's 2nd birthday!!! The pups turned 2 years old Saturday, June 8th and we celebrated with a homemade "Pup Cake", new Happy...