Ethanol Toxicosis in Cats
What is Ethanol Toxicosis?
Exposure to ethanol, either orally or through the skin, is a common source of toxicity in household pets.
- Depression of the central nervous system is typical of ethanol poisoning
- Expressed as drowsiness
- Lack of coordination or loss of consciousness.
- Other effects may include damage to body cells, and symptoms such as incontinence, slowed heart rate, and even heart attack.
Ethanol poisoning in cats can occur as a result of exposure:
- Certain beverages
Symptoms and Types:
Symptoms will vary depending on the amount of ethanol ingested, and whether your cat’s stomach was full or empty. The main symptom is a depressed central nervous system, which may develop 15 to 30 minutes after ingestion on an empty stomach, and up to two hours when ingested on a full stomach.
Other symptoms include:
- Urinating or defecating involuntarily.
- Higher doses of ethanol ingestion can bring about behavioral changes ranging from depression to excitement
- Decreased body temperature (hypothermia)
- Slow reflexes
- Flatulence if bread dough is the source of ethanol
- Signs of advanced ethanol poisoning include depression, slowed breathing and heart rate, an increase in total body acid (metabolic acidosis), and heart attack. If left untreated, this can result in your cat’s death.
- Symptoms of ethanol poisoning may also be similar to early stages of antifreeze (ethylene glycol) poisoning.
Ethanol poisoning can occur from the ingestion of a variety of products. Fermented products such as:
- Bread dough
- Rotten apples
- Food that a cat can easily find while digging through the garbage
- Poisoning can also occur when beverages, commercial products, or medications containing alcohol are spilled and lapped up by an animal. A toxic reaction from exposure to alcohol-containing products through the skin is also possible.
Your veterinarian will be able to conclusively diagnose ethanol poisoning via:
- Blood tests that measure blood-ethanol concentrations in your cat’s bloodstream
- A urine test for low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) may also point to ethanol poisoning
- As well as a pH test for measuring heightened levels of acid in the body
I very much hope this, as well as my last post, has been informative for you. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask and always be aware of what you have laying around the house that your pet can get in to.
Photography by Thomas Domitrovich. Thank you to our model Maggie Domitrovich!
You Might Also Like
Did you know that dogs can get acne just as people do? Have you ever seen a dog with white and red pimples around their mouth? When I adopted my old dog Bear years ago from the shelter, he was around 1 year old and I noticed tiny bumps around his mouth with some...
Have you ever picked up your dog’s water bowl and dishes and felt a slimy substance on your fingertips? That is called Biofilm. A Biofilm forms when certain microorganisms (for example, some types of bacteria) adhere to the surface of some object in a moist...
Do dogs really understand the meaning of personal space? I don't think Jake and Maggie do. I’m sure we are all sick of talking and thinking about the Coronavirus. I know Jake and Maggie are! Every activity I think of involves being around places and people so we...